Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Birdhouse

Isn't this little birdhouse adorable!? I wish I could take credit for the concept, but I actually got the idea from Jen Del Muro at Stamp a Sweet Impression. You can view a complete tutorial and see her house on her blog by clicking here.

I mostly followed the instructions on Jen's blog, but I did make a few adjustments. First, I don't have an oval punch (I know, I know... I need one!). So I used Chocolate Chip strips that I punched with the Scallop Border punch.

I wanted to make my house into a bird house, so before assembling the house I used my 1 3/8" circle punch to make a hole. TIP: I needed to go in from the side in order for the punch to fit. Even then, I needed to trim off about half of the flap to make it work. You could always use your Circle Scissors Plus to make the hole. I backed the circle with a medium window sheet (Occasions Mini). To create the scallop border, I first punched a circle out of Pink Pirouette, I then punched the scallop circle. This ensured that the circle would be centered.

I decided not to glue the top of the house together. Instead I punched a hole into the top of each triangle so that I could tie it all together. This way my mom (the recipient of this gift for Mother's Day), can get her goodies out and then reuse the house or display it.

I decorated the house with flowers (using the Trio Flower Punch), grass, and bee/butterfly buttons (non-SU!). The little bird is from Cheep Talk. I filled it in with Pacific Point and Pumpkin Pie before stamping and snipping it out. He is adhered with a dimensional.

A Chocolate Chip marker was used to write "Home Sweet Home", and also to create little dots for the insects :).

I plan to fill this little house with some Chocolate Covered Almonds. YUM!

Did you know that May is National Scrapbook month? For the month of May, Stampin' Up! is offering a Buy 3 get 1 FREE on all 12x12 Designer Series paper and textured card stock! Also in honor of May, get the brand new sneak peek Jumbo Alphabet set at 20% off! Click Here for details!

Right now you can join Stampin' Up! for only $75!!! Click here for details!

Happy Stampin'!
Carrie

Order Stampin' Up! online 24-7! Click Here!

Recipe:
Stamp Set: Cheep Talk (113204)
Ink: Pacific Point (111837), Pumpkin Pie (105115), Chocolate Chip (100071)
Paper: Kraft (102125), Chocolate Chip (102128), Whisper White (100730), Riding Hood Red (111348), Old Olive (100702), Pink Pirouette (111351)
Accessories: Scallop Border Punch (112091), Trio Flower Punch (109183), Stampin Dimensionals (104430), Window Sheets (114323), Scallop Circle Punch (109043), Hemp Twine (100982), Pearl Stickers (Non-SU), Buttons (Non-SU)



5 comments:

Melissa said...

Yes! It IS adorable!

Mary Fish said...

Brilliant. Love your alterations to the roof (Scallop Punch) and keeping the top free to open for goodies and continue to display.

Hugs, Mary

Kris said...

I LOVE that you used the bird box template!

So very, very cute.

Ann Schach said...

This is so "tweet"! Once again, an awesome project!

Margaret said...

This is SO cute, Carrie! I like how you substituted the scallop punch for the oval! Looks wonderful!