Thursday, March 5, 2009

Princess Pop-up

Go easy on me, as this is my very first attempt at a pop-up card. I don't know why I haven't tried them before because they are so fun. This color scheme was inspired by the Split Coast challenge CC208 which was to use Pink, Chocolate and Kiwi Kiss. My stamping pals put a twist on it- to make it a pop-up card!

Well, I am completely out of Chocolate Chip card stock, so the color is used sparingly on the card: Princess and inside butterflies are inked in
it, and I used a chocolate ribbon on the front.

The card starts with a Pink Passion base. The flourishes are from Perfect Princess (as with all the other stamps except the frame). They are inked in Pink Passion and stamped a few times on the base. A strip of Kiwi Kiss was cut using Scallop scissors. A piece of chocolate ruffled ribbon and white polka dot ribbon (sorry, I don't know who made these) was wrapped around the Kiwi Kiss CS before adhering.

The frame is from Frames with a Flourish (I love this set!) and it is inked in Kiwi Kiss and stamped on Whisper White. Fitting "Princess" in the center was a breeze using a stamp-a-majig.

Okay, I used the tutorial found here to create the pop up portion inside. TIP: I used a completely separate piece of Pink Passion CS to do the inside and my last step included adhering it to the outside. Otherwise there would be a hole where I had cut for the pop-up.

I embossed the crown using black powder. I then colored it in and cut it out. Hot pink glitter was glued to the top pieces, and a pink rhinestone brad was placed in the center. Two rhinestones (not SU) were placed on either side of the kiwi center.

Now for the best part. I took this mirror out of one of my old compacts. Totally not child-friendly as it is made of glass. But I figured that this could just be an example, and anything that would be given away would need to be replaced with a plastic alternative. Using my
coluzzle I cut a circle out of Kiwi Kiss just slightly bigger than the mirror. The mirror was attached using sticky strip and more rhinestones were adhered around the mirror (I couldn't get enough of them on this card!). I attached the crown with more sticky strip to the mirror, a little off to the side. The entire piece was then attached to the pop-out portion of the card.

The last details include stamping butterflies on the top portion, cutting and coloring a second set of them and attaching just in the center to make them pop off the page. I also stamped the flower from the set randomly in Pink Passion on the bottom. This still leaves plenty of writing space for giving the card away.

While making this card, I was picturing the little girl I babysit who just turned 3. She would love to see herself as the princess in this card!


2 comments:

Mary Fish said...

just amazing . . . i love the whole concept from princess to mirror. hugs mary

Kim said...

What little girl wouldn't LOVE this card! I know mine would as she presently twirls around in her Cinderella gown. Great job!