Monday, March 16, 2009

Reach for the Stars

Today I have 2 projects to share!! I felt like I needed to get busy since I spent all weekend reading. I read Twilight in 2 days- that says a lot considering it is 500 pages long and I have a 1 year old! It made for some very late nights. I have to say that is not my normal read- I'm not usually into the whole Sci-fi scene. I decided to give it a go anyway, and I couldn't put it down! I can't wait to see it on DVD.

Enough rambling for me. On to today's projects... The first one is a birthday card for an adorable little guy who is turning 1 on Saturday. I got the layout from this weeks Mojo Monday Sketch (#78).

I stamped the giraffe onto a piece of Whisper White (which I rounded at the bottom simply by tracing part of a ribbon spool and snipping it out). The giraffe was isolated from the sentiment by using the marker directly on the stamp. I did the reverse by coloring just the sentiment and I flipped the stamp to place it at the bottom. A strip of Only Orange was embellished by putting 3 Brilliant Blue eyelets in a row (I don't think I have even touched my eyelets in over a year!). This was adhered underneath my giraffe and the entire piece was matted onto Pacific Point.

The card base is Kiwi Kiss, with a strip of Good Morning Sunshine DSP (dots). The two stars are from On Board Essentials. They were first covered in So Saffron, and then bright yellow glitter was glued on top. A small piece of So Saffron give it the final touch.

My next project was just something small that I wanted for our guest room. I found this frame at Kohl's for $5.99 on clearance and couldn't pass it up.

Instead of a photo, a piece of 4X4 Urban Oasis paper makes up the background. Another smaller piece is layered at the bottom. To create the flowers, I took a piece of Tangerine Tango and Baja Breeze, and zipped them through my Big Shot using the Cherry Blossom Embosslit folder. The sentiment (from Fifth Avenue Floral) is stamped onto Very Vanilla using Kiwi Kiss ink. Once the room is finished, I will post some photos!

Don't Forget!!! Sale-a-bration is ending on March 31st!!! Don't miss your chance to earn free products. The Sale-a-bration stamps are exclusive to this promotion and will never be offered again!


7 comments:

craftyrachel said...

Aw, your card is so cute! I love how the giraffe is eating the star. Very clever!

Arlana 11426 said...

Oh your card is darling. Great mojo monday card!

Patti MacLeith said...

Carrie your color combinations are wonderful. I love the frame idea, too!

Mary Fish said...

Love the giraffe and the shadow box is such a cool idea. I have a new idea . . . how about an embosslits and die cut exchange? I want the cherry blossom! Hugs, M

Caryl P said...

I love your girafee and the stars that just 'pop'! Nice work, so glad I found it!

Christy said...

That is super cute

Terri Trotter Earley said...

Love the colors and the ribbon detail. Nice job on the sketch.

It's a good life!
Terri E.