Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Color Challenge- PPA11

This week over at Pals Paper Arts, we are hosting a color challenge! The goal is to use the following colors (or similar):





You will want to be sure to head over to Pals Paper Arts, not only to upload your own creation, but also to take advantage of some fabulous Blog Candy!!!

For my card, I incorporated a couple new techniques that I learned at the SU Regional. Both are so fun, and easy!

Here are some step by step instructions:

  • First I stamped the Halloween image from Sweet Centers on a square of Whisper White using Basic Black ink. I randomly filled in some of the images using Perfect Plum, Old Olive, and Pumpkin Pie.
  • The 1 3/4" circle punch was used to pop out the center.
  • On another smaller square, I stamped the image again using Perfect Plum ink. I filled in the center circle with Pumpkin Pie ink.
  • Now for the fun part! I adhered a piece of packing tape onto the back side of the large square, with the sticky part face up.
  • A generous coating of Dazzling Diamonds was added on top for a sheer glittery effect.
  • Next, I attached the two squares together.
  • For the card base, I used Perfect Plum, which I distressed using the distressing tool on my cutter kit.
  • I took a 2"x5.5" piece of Old Olive and distressed all the edges, too. Next I took out my Big Shot and SU Backgrounds I Texturz Plates.
  • I decided to use the diamond pattern, but I felt it needed something more. So I remembered another technique from Regionals- adding color to Texturz Plates!
  • I used a brayer to apply Basic Black ink to the raised portions of the plate. TIP: I wasn't as careful as I probably should have been and accidentally got ink in the impressed portion, but I ended up liking the look. Then I simply ran my card stock through. Another TIP: A little soap and water did the trick for removing the excess ink from my plate and silicon pad.
  • I knew I wanted to use the 1 1/4" Pumpkin Pie Striped Grosgrain, but it was a little too wide for the card, so I folded it in half and used Snail to secure it.
  • Then I wrapped the ribbon around the black rectangle (because I wanted to tie it, but not around the whole card).
  • Instead of a simple know, I used Hemp Twine to secure the ends.
I hope you will play along (and be entered to win Blog Candy!) over at Pals Paper Arts!!!



Order Stampin' Up! online 24-7! Click here!

Recipe: Stamps: Sweet Centers (116521) Ink: Basic Black (101179), Old Olive (102277), Perfect Plum (101437), Pumpkin Pie (105216) Paper: Whisper White (100730), Perfect Plum (101889), Old Olive (100702), Razzleberry Lemonade DSP (115675) Accessories: Big Shot (113439), Stampin' Up! Backgrounds I Texturz Plates (114512), 1 1/4" Pumpkin Pie Striped Grosgrain (115616), Hemp Twine (100982), Dazzling Diamonds Glitter (101023), 1 3/4" Circle Punch (112004), Packing Tape, Cutter Kit (106958), Brayer (102395)

12 comments:

Tiffany said...

Great job with the challenge Carrie! I love that distressed look.

Debbie said...

Adorable design. The distressed look works well with the fun image.

K said...

Love the ribbon treatment.

Great card!

Linda Callahan said...

Like that glittery look! Also like that inking technique - very cute!

Cards by Gina said...

Carrie, I love the way you played the Challenge! Great papers and design! And I love the ribbon!

Melissa said...

I esp love the ribbon! What a neat way to accent your card!

Denise said...

The brayering tip is excellent. The argyle looks perfect inked up like that. Super cute - as always!

Ann Schach said...

I wished that I could brayer like you! Plus, the ribbon is awesome! Great job!

Melanie Collins said...

Adorable card Carrie! I really like the technique you did with the Dazzling Diamonds!

Carla said...

Super card, love it all!!! Hugs,

Margaret Moody said...

Great card, Carrie! Love the textured diamond background! Super job with the challenge!

Kim said...

Nice to see this set used without the cups! Great job with the challenge Carrie!