Sunday, October 18, 2009

Divided Box Tutorial

I've received several inquiries about instructions for the boxes I created in yesterday's post. I decided to go ahead and do a step-by-step tutorial, which will hopefully eliminate any confusion.

UPDATE: I had a question about the lid, so I am including some quick instructions on how I did that. I simply drew another square in the middle of the unassembled box to measure approximately 3". Then I used a hobby blade and ruler to remove the square. A slightly larger piece of window sheet was adhered to the inside of the box using mini glue dots.

Step 1:
To create the box, cut a piece of card stock to measure 6"x6". Score at 1" in from all sides.


















Step 2:
Cut along the score lines at the top and bottom (only) to create flaps for assembling the box.

















Step 3:
Use sticky strip to secure the flaps to the interior of the box. I try to get the sticky strip as close to the fold as possible to prevent any gaps (see picture).














Step 4: Fully assemble the base. I use these same steps for creating the lid. It is a tight fit, so you may want to increase the card stock size and score lines slightly.














Step 5:
Cut two pieces of card stock to 4"x 6". On one of those pieces, score vertical lines at 2", 3", and 4". Score a horizontal line only between the three previously scored lines at the 2" mark (see
photo).















Step 6:
Fold the piece in half and cut along the middle line. You will need to cut this wide enough (about 1/16") so that the other piece will fit snugly inside when complete.



















Step 7:
On the other 4"x6" piece, score at 2", 3", and 4" again. This time you will make a horizontal line at 2" on the outside of the other score lines.















Step 8:
Fold the piece in half and cut along the 2" line.


















Step 9:
Accordion fold both dividing pieces. Use sticky strip to secure the middle piece together.















Step 10:
Secure the first dividing piece (the one pictured above) in the box. Slide the other piece over the top and secure.


I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I am printing this off as we speak! Thanks so much for taking the time!

Patti MacLeith said...

Thanks, Carrie. Extra helpful!

Jennifer Mason said...

This is awesome! Thank you so much!!

Since I am a dork at things, could you possible post instructions on making the top with the middle cut out too?

Thanks for what you have done!! I really appreciate it.

Carla said...

Your tutorial is wonderful... Hugs,

Mary Fish said...

Excellent tutorial and photos. I hope you posted this to SCS (the tutorials section). I'm sure more inquiring minds would like to know.

Hugs, M

Laurie Zoellmer said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I need a "gift" for a gift exchange w/ my uplines team. This is just what I was looking for. Thank you for taking time to put together this tutorial, it was VERY helpful ;)
-Laurie

Wanda in NC said...

thanks for the tutorial; got it on the SU website, but my printer doesn't work, and I needed dimensions. tFS Love it!