Thursday, October 22, 2009

PPA13: Anything But A Card


Our challenge this week over at Pals Paper Arts is to create anything but a card. I have been a little obsessed with creating Christmas projects lately, so I couldn't help myself this week :).

This was SO easy to do! Obviously this will work with any stamp set, but I prefer to use more simple designs that can be repeated.

  • Start with the size candle you prefer, making sure that it is lighter in color.
  • Trim a piece of white tissue paper to wrap around the candle.
  • Stamp images onto the tissue paper. For my project, I used images from Season of Joy with Ruby Red and Old Olive. I also used a bit of gold paint to accent parts of the images.
  • Trim another piece of wax paper to fit around the candle, leaving a bit extra to hold onto.
  • Wrap the tissue paper around the candle, then wrap the wax paper on top of it, making sure to keep the tissue paper secure and smooth.
  • Hold onto the wax paper tightly to press the tissue paper up against the candle and heat with an embossing gun (heat tool). As soon as you see the tissue paper dissolve, move to the next area.
  • Remove the wax paper.
  • The tissue paper should disappear into the wax leaving only the image.
  • I also added some gold beads to some of the poinsettias using a hot glue gun.
I make these just about every year for gifts and they are so fun and easy! One thing to keep in mind, however, is that when the candle burns, the tissue paper will remain. So you may need to trim around the candle from time to time as it burns. But, to be honest, I never burn these candles. They are too pretty! I just leave them as is for decoration :).

Don't miss it! Next week we are hosting a special challenge for breast cancer awareness. Plus there will be some AMAZING blog candy!!!







Order Stampin' Up! online 24-7! Click Here!

Recipe:
Stamps: Season of Joy (110384)
Ink: Ruby Red (102259), Old Olive (102277)
Accessories: Heat Tool (100005)
Other: White pillar candle, tissue paper, wax paper, gold paint, gold beads

12 comments:

Ann Schach said...

So cool, Carrie! Guess what I am going to try my hand at! Thanks for the excellent instructions!

Regina Mangum said...

Wow! This is the best idea ever. I didn't know you could basically make your own rub-on for candles. Terrific!XO

Stampin' Diva said...

Love this Carrie!!! I saw someone do this elsewhere and was at a lost as to how. Thanks for the great instructions!!!

Melissa said...

I haven't tried this, but I am going to! So pretty!

Linda Callahan said...

Love this effect!

Patti MacLeith said...

Excellent project and instructions. It would be cool to make the candle match a card or other 3-D project. What a package that would be. Great job, Carrie!

Kris Kilcoyne said...

Really pretty... I have always wanted to try this.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Tiffany said...

Very pretty Carrie! What an awesome Christmas gift this would make. You're so creative!

Martha said...

I love how your project turned out. This is the next project I've been wanting to try. Awesome job!

Mary Fish said...

What a score! I haven't made a candle with stamps and tissue in a couple and you reminded me to give it a go again! Hugs, M

Carla said...

Awesome candle, awesome instructions, those I can follow and I will. Hugs,

Cards by Gina said...

Wow, Carrie, I love this candle and how you decorated it! Your instructions are terrific as well. I'm so not crafty, but I'd love to try to make these candles as gifts. Thanks so much for sharing!